Guess what? IT’S BAKING TIME! Welcome back :D!
That’s right – I started off my morning with a list of errands and things to do, and got out early for what I thought would be a busy day of crossing things off from it. Well, I guess I’m better than I thought (it wouldn’t be the first time I surprised myself at being awesome…just kidding, kinda!) because everything, including even a nice extra long time in the sauna after the gym sesh, was over before 2pm! What to do, what to do; baking!
I wanted to do something different; but somehow I ended up making cupcakes again! Oh well, I really need to start diversifying but…maybe next week. I went with Bananas Foster into a cupcake… yummy :)
I half-ed the recipe for my traditional vanilla cupcakes and changed it up a bit, it ended up being a lovely cinnamon-vanilla cupcake that held its’ own against the bananas foster concoction.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter @ room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour (substitute = 3/4 c flour + 1 tsp baking powder + 1/4 tsp salt)
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 generous sprinkles of cinnamon (to taste)
1. Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy. 2. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between additions. 3. Add the flour mixtures and milk & vanilla alternatively in about 3 parts until combined. 4. Add cinnamon and stir by hand. (Taste) Then pour! I read a tip on making cupcakes fluffier, preheat the oven to 350° but bake at 325° for about 10 minutes longer. Give it a try if you want! (I’m not sure it made too much of a difference with this batch tho, but I’ll try again next time!). Makes exactly 12 cupcakes! When does that EVER happen?
For the Banana’s Foster part, I actually used a COOK BOOK!
Yes, those still exist! It’s actually my moms, and its legitimately filled to capacity with pieces of food-stained paper, recipes from the back of ingredient boxes & written-on index cards, and post-its with notes and adjustments to existing recipes. That, people, is what a well-loved cookbook looks like (…it’s a Hadassah Cookbook from Rochester NY, and about a million years old)
The recipe is for Bananas a la mode:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 c white rum
- 2 Tbsp banana liqueur (I used amaretto instead!)
First of all, I should have doubled the recipe – I got about 6 cupcakes out of this. Slice up the bananas lengthwise and brush/sprinkle with lemon juice. In a skillet pan, melt the sugar. Then add the bananas and sauté until tender and sprinkle with cinnamon. TURN OFF THE HEAT. Add the alcohol and immediately (preferably with a long handled match) ignite and ‘baste’ until flame burns out.
To put it together, I decided to separate the actual bananas from the sauce; I cut the top of the cupcakes off and filled them with bananas (before serving only, don’t do ahead of time for fear of soggy cupcakes!). A scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream and then drizzle the sauce over the whole thing.
Dig in and enjoy! It is fruit after all :) I think this can help satisfy our ‘healthier lifestyle’ resolutions right?
What are some really crazy baking ideas out there? I’m itching for something fun and crazy :D!