You know how Tollhouse sells that BUCKET of ready-made cookie dough that you can keep in the fridge/freezer to “make at the last minute” (…take-a-spoonful-every-time-you-open-the-fridge)? And how whenever I make cookies, it never yields that full 24-28 because of the helpful “taste-testers” that appear JUST before I am about to put them on the sheet? …Yea, that’s where this recipe comes from :)!
But seriously people, the last time I made a cake I had people LICKING the remains; not like “oh i’ll just taste it with my fingertip”, but full on pushing me out of the way, shoulders hunched standing over the sink with their backs to me, hoarding the leftover batter… So that’s kinda like a compliment? Here’s to you Lauren, what a supportive sister, always being so kind to test my creations ;)
The “frosting” tasted legitimately like cookie dough. I’m talking like next time I want a cookie I’m just using this recipe – no oven required; so much so, that I probably had way too much while just baking the cupcakes!
Anyways, for the cupcakes themselves, I used the Magnolia’s Birthday Cake recipe that I had used for the Mickey Mouse cake (go check it out for the recipe!) It is a rich vanilla with a ton of flavor so I felt it would hold up nicely against the flavor of the cookie dough. They turned out so beautiful as cupcakes!!
When I make cookies, I usually use dark brown sugar instead of light brown, I think it tastes just a little more rich and delicious, so I decided to use a combination of the two for the “frosting.” I always try to change a little something each time I bake, to really make a recipe “mine” (and sometimes it happens because I don’t want to run to the store and we already have dark brown sugar at home…).
So after the cupcakes cool COMPLETELY, (remember, the “frosting” is basically butter and sugar so it WILL melt super easy!) I frosted it with a pastry bag, sans tip (the chocolate chips kept getting caught in my star tip :(!!) and sprinkled with mini chips and a chocolate chunk for some attitude.
Cookie Dough Frosting: (I found this on Sally’s Baking Addiction) and doubled the recipe; below is the recipe with the changes that I made:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup) softened to room temperature; separated
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups of flour (1 1/4 + 1 1/4 cup)
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract (1 tsp + 1 tsp)
- 1 tsp of salt (1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp)
- 8 Tbsp milk (4 Tbsp + 4 Tbsp)
- 1/2 bag mini chocolate chips
- Put 1 STICK of butter in a mixer (paddle attachment) and cream with the light brown sugar
- Add 1 tsp vanilla and beat well; stir 1 1/4 cup flour and salt until dough-ey
- Stir in the milk and beat until fluffy; set aside
- Repeat steps 1-3 using the dark brown sugar
- Fold in chocolate chips if desired
:) So… who’s coming over?